Monday, September 2, 2013

Week2 blog2

I choose to show George Tooker, Government Bureau for my VTS practice. I was only able to get 3 people to come but they all enjoyed it. I had my principal, jr high English teacher, and instructional couch participate. My principal liked VTS so much he would like me to conduct a VTS with the entire faculty. I was more nerves then I am when I VTS with my students, but I guess that can be expected. The conversation was good, but it would have been better with more people. I did experience that moment when it seemed that no one had anything else to say but they where just thinking and had a lot more. I had a question about if students could write their first impression before the discuss to have more ownership on the their thoughts. I said that is a great idea but that I have to first stick to the straight traditional VTS then I can branch off into VTS like concepts. Over all I think it we t well.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, we are all having the same reaction from our peers... it sounds like a resounding, "TELL US MORE"!! Proof positive that this works! I chose the Tooker as well, it seemed so ripe with conversation..

    P.S. My new blog is investinyourheART.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the group that I VTS'd with this morning was very involved! Which was so exciting for me because they are neither in the education field, or the art field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy when principals recognize the power of VTS because so many of them don't really "get" the power of art and what we do when we teach it. One of my biggest supporters in Blue Springs was my building principal. A dividend was that he began to see ALL that I did with my art students, including art making, in a new light. I'll be curious to see if yours continues to think about his experience.

    You're right that three participants isn't ideal, but there is still opportunity to construct meaning together. Nice job! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that even people from outside art ed could see the benefits of VTS, especially your principal! I had a few wait it out moments too. I've found that it gets pretty easy to tell by people's faces whether people are really looking and thinking still or if they're done and starting to lose focus.

    ReplyDelete