Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 10 Blog 10


The students jumped right in, they all had things to say and wanted to share. Sadness was one of the first thing commented on; which was backed up by the observation of somber expressions, heads down and dark clothing.
This piece is by one of my favorite artist and i knew it depicts people grieving at the bedside of someone who has just passed. I was there for suprised that it took so long for my students to come to this realization. There where some comment of them being at a funeral, Comment about an investigation, comment on home buying, comment on this is the hotel they are staying in for the funeral. Then final someone said they are in the room with the person dying. Is it just there lack of experience with the passing of loved one or what?
I think they are become more flexible. They changed their thought. they are still having trouble being respectful when others say things outlandish. I am having trouble varying questions but still keeping them meaningful. I want to continue to work on that by practicing the new questions before VTSing.



1 comment:

  1. Even though they didn't grasp the artist's intent specifically, they were definitely in the ballpark with their interpretations of grief and sadness. They clearly read the body language of the subjects, so yeah! One think you might do to discourage disrespectful responses to comments is actually give a few examples in your intro. I found that very helpful with my boy writers. I'd say something like, "Last time we discussed an artwork, I heard some disrespectful groans or snickers. Remember, if you disagree with what someone says, raise your hand and respectfully disagree, but be sure you have evidence!" With the younger ones, I'd even enact a disrespectful response. They caught on pretty quickly. Maybe it will work for you, too. Just a thought. (I, too, love this picture and artist. GREAT VTS piece!!)

    ReplyDelete