Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Week 7 Blog 7


What dangers/risks might be associated with premature cognitive commitments in the visual art classroom? How might VTS remediate these dangers/risks? If you paraphrase as facts then students think that is the "right" answer and will stop looking for any other options. like in the image we viewed this week, a students comment that "the boy is sad that his mother is paying more attention to the new baby then him" if I had paraphrased pointing to the front figure saying "the boy" or to the women saying "the mom" the class would have see those as concrete relationships. I instead used conditional language. This allowed the class to think of other relationships for the people in the picture like aunt, cousins, or siblings. It also allowed them to think of other reasons for the front figure to be "sad". 

I have noticed other student "correcting" other student (out of turn). It is something I am working on. When they disagree in turn I can paraphrase using conditional language but when they call out its more difficult.


1 comment:

  1. I've had kids do that and if I ignore them, then call on a student who has raised his/her hand and thank them for raising their hand politely, the shouters get the message. If worse comes to worse, you may have to implement consequences for calling out. One time, I told a chronic shouter that he would have to write a summary of all the answers at the end of the discussion if he continued to shout out. I told him in private and he tested me so I had to follow through. But he got the message. Writing is seems to be a curse worse than death in the art classroom! Then, when he raised his hand after that, I would try to call on him immediately and always thank him for raising a quiet hand. Good luck! If only there was one way that fit all kiddos!

    ReplyDelete