Portrait of Possibility
The student I choose I spoke of in the last post. I will call him DD. As I said in the last post DD keep arguing right after someone spoke. For example one student said ‘I think the red is the support that holds up the cards” DD immediately said “no those are cards!”. I asked if anyone has disagreements to please raise their hand for me to call on them. He did it again a few times and he never raised his hand. I spoke to him after class and told him I would love to hear from him but I want everyone to hear his opinion, so would he please raise his hand.
DD had a total of 27 words on the pre-VTS, with a lot of straight forward ideas. In my opinion he is a very "it is what it is"; no other possibilities kind of person. I would like to see him listening to other's points of views and developing his imagination a little more. I also hope that reflects in his artwork and writing.
I have another student I'm keeping an eye on, I will call him Texas. He had a word count of 24 on his pre-VTS. Texas has some social issues and prefers to sit and work alone. He contributed to the conversation and had amazing ideas about emotions that surprised me. My hope for him is to fell safe and comfortable during VTS to share more and build positive relationships with me and the class.
I totally agree that the positive relationship is the key!
ReplyDeleteBoth of these "portraits of possibility" sound fascinating and I think VTS has what it takes to help them both over their respective "rough places." I'm anxious to see how the semester unfolds for them with VTS!
ReplyDelete